Re: Re: Comments on Schilke Helleberg

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on July 20, 2000 at 00:34:34:

In Reply to: Re: Comments on Schilke Helleberg posted by Mike Solms on July 19, 2000 at 13:46:11:

I've got one, but it hasn't been my cup of tea on any of horns I've owned. I bought it because I Liked the rim at the time, and the cup & name seemed promising.

For comparison, it seems to be functionally similar to a Schillke 67 or a Conn 2, both of which I do use on occasion. I'm really not sure what subtle aspect of that mouthpiece leads me to choose these others. It's probably a function of the way in which these mouthpieces better 'line up' with the particular horns I've used.

One of my big regrets was that I once gave a deep bowl Marzan mouthpiece in trade for a (then) $30 tuba lesson. Wish I had it now.

I now rarely ever get rid of any mouthpiece that I've had, because I've found that my preferences do change over time, and no mouthpiece has proven itself to be great for every horn you pop it into. I've actually found myself 'discovering' a new favorite mouthpiece from my collection after it sat on the shelf for three years.

I had once decided that a Yamaha 67C4 was no good because it was 'too stock' when it came with the horn. Having spent some time with it, I now use this mouthpiece pretty often. It has turned out to be a great all-purpose mouthpiece.

Mark Mazak

Follow Ups: