Re: Conn5J/Jupiter582

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubagoo on July 28, 2000 at 07:46:10:

In Reply to: Conn5J/Jupiter582 posted by Dave on July 27, 2000 at 08:30:53:

I own the jupiter and I have always been a big fan of the conn 5 J.
The Jup is a bit bulkier but I bought it because it has a greats sound and a more open low range. I also play shows and brass quintets and in bands and brass bands. The case is bulky and you can't rely on the wheels for very long, but i use a gig bag most of the time. i love the slide placement, my second valve maybe a bit long but i haven't cut it yet. i some times will use 2 3 combination for Db in the staff especially if it the 5th of the chord. I pull the first valve slide for all the Eb's and push in for the C Ab and G. In my opinion not that much work. I pull the second slide if I am going to be sitting on a low B natural for awhile, but I don't bother if it is just a passing note. all slides very reachable if you are a fanatic. Low Eb I play 1 2 4 with the first valve all the way in. it is a fine fine note and the C below that 1 2 3 4 with the 3rd valve pulled is a great note.
I love the conn sound also, definitely better for commercial music and dixie, jazz. The conn also has a great advantage as it gets on a microphone extremely well. It records like a much bigger horn, very present. I owe this to the fact that with the smaller bore and the bell shape it seems to have lots of mid range overtone or something to that effect. the low range is definitely tighter, but workable. use the resistance on this horn. also, the fake tones are incredible on the conn. playing low Eb open, great note. Keep an eye on the conn valves, keep 'em oiled. i have heard of a few cases where they became worn prematurely, i think they fixed the problem inthe factory. one final advantage, if for some reason you decide to sell the conn in a few years, you could sell it instantly. There is always a big demand for that horn. Not the same for the jup.

My final opinion: These are two good horns in about the same price range. parts are readily available for both. I recommend either in laquer not silver. so it comes down to a few things. which sound do you prefer? What is the application? will you want to sell it someday?
enjoy

Follow Ups: