Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is Daryl Smith?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason H on July 30, 2000 at 20:34:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is Daryl Smith? posted by DCastillo on July 30, 2000 at 12:59:53:

Well, I didn't say I didn't like the horn. I just expected a lot more than I got. It was my first CC and I didn't try other horns to see what was out there. My Kalison does everything I NEED it to do so far. It doesn't agree with some of the things I WANT it to do, particularly in the high register,but it's not going to do all of the things an F tuba will do.

My problem is that I didn't go try out different horns when I first switched to CC. There aren't exactly any tuba dealers near Mississippi. I went into the purchase "blind". Now that I have matured more as a player, I realize I probably could have gotten a horn that was more suited to my paritcular playing characteristics. I got the Kalison so I'll stick with it and hope for the best.

I remember talking to you before. Kalison tubas aren't really consistent, I hear, so do you have any problems in the high register, like above C on top of the staff? I can't get my second ledger line high D to speak very well at all. The same for the D# and F above that. It is probably that my embouchure isn't strong enough just as much as it's the horn.

What about that second leadpipe. I've heard of it, but what does it do? Is it bigger or something?

-Jason

Follow Ups: