Re: Re: Pops...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eve on July 02, 2001 at 09:33:57:

In Reply to: Re: Pops... posted by Ian Easton on July 02, 2001 at 08:38:55:

"I disagree that 'Pops' music was once 'serious' music
(1812, etc, excepting)".

I agree completely with Ian's remark above, and some other points in his post.

There are numerous, numerous examples to be cited of 'serious' (or dare I say 'art') music being popularised due to a film, or TV commercial. Here in Australia we had an instant coffee commercial that used part of Carmina Burana. That results in "that bit" of C. Burana being recognisable, but I don't necessarily think that any work in this category has therefore been somehow transformed. Beginner students I have taught recognise (and want to play) the main tune in the William Tell Overture, because it is used in a commercial for a ubiquitous multi-national pizza chain.

Yet, it may mean these works programmed as part of "lighter" (for lack of a better word) concerts. And then, many folk probably only want to hear the "popular bit", not the whole piece!

I do not hold with the theory/suggestion that John Williams' Superman* Theme would be regarded more highly (or regarded as a work of great profundity) if it were named Williams' Sixth Symphony (a thought from elswhere in this thread). I see these sorts of works as very well-crafted, yet highly derivative works created for the "purpose-at-hand" i.e. the commission of a film score with all the neccessary ingredients (e.g. love theme, fight/action music, quirky music, etc.)

Wow, an interesting thread because it raises far more thoughts/questions and will ever defy definitive answers.

* substitute Star Wars, Jaws, E.T., Jurassic Park, etc., etc., etc.

Follow Ups: