Re: talent show

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan on July 02, 2001 at 17:40:20:

In Reply to: talent show posted by Graham Keith on July 01, 2001 at 21:10:09:

Eight years ago, I was in a similar position. I took the third movement of Bach's Brandenburg Concerto #2 and read off the infamous trumpet part on my little Yamaha F tuba with a Mirafone C4 mouthpiece.

No transposing is needed on F tuba as it is written for F trumpet, just play it with trumpet fingerings (C and G being open, et all). I practiced my butt off as this part is not for the timid. I condensed the score into a difficult but playable keyboard part that pretty much covered the other lines. I wore suspenders and sunglasses, told a couple of quick jokes before hand, had a first rate keyboardist with me, and took a nice brisk tempo. By the time I was done, I had knocked them dead. This is not for everyone, but if you have a good high register, crisp clean articulation, and a brighter sounding tuba, it can be pulled off very successfully.

I still use this piece as a judge of my chops, and can't play it half as good as I did back then. (Can't play it at all since I sold my F, but that's another tale.) It is not long enough to bore the audience and if done right, it will appeal to everyone in the crowd including those who thought they hated tubas or Bach.

Follow Ups: