Re: Starting out on F tuba???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 05, 2001 at 08:01:10:

In Reply to: Starting out on F tuba??? posted by Todd on July 04, 2001 at 15:14:19:

What is it with tuba players and flute players? Seems a natural gravity there to me...

I'd check with some european tuba teachers since most european players learn F tuba as their primary instrument. There must be some appropriate method books out there that they use. In any event, with the huge number of european players learning either F or Eb as their primary instrument, I can't imagine a single reason why it would be a problem. Just as long as the student produces the sound they want, why worry? If she starts on F and decides she'd rather learn CC/BBb, cross that bridge when it comes.

I'd be careful about letting a flutist touch your tuba for any length of time. You might not get the tuba back. The last time that happened to a flute player I was dating (back in high school) she eventually dropped the flute, took on tuba full time, and started studying with my teacher. She became very good at tuba and eventually bought my Yamaha 321 Eb tuba when I sold it years ago.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: