What a wonderful world!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark F. on July 06, 2001 at 13:04:00:

I must comment on how much the world of tuba has changed in the last 15 years. When I entered college, Conn was the only company making a good piston valve CC tuba, and it was on the small side. We all drooled about getting a selection of a really good professional quality piston CC, and wouldn't it be great if it came with 5 valves?
Also wouldn't it be great if somebody would make a really nice BBb tuba that was as qick and responsive as a CC? Seems like light years ago. Actually, it was only 15.

I just got back from a Trip to Richard Murrow's house. We gabbed about this and that, and and he asked me if I wanted to play the new King 2341 BBb he just got. I was very impressed with it. The responce was clean and quick, the sound was dark but full, and the tuning was excellent. At one point I was checking tuning on it, and the high F felt so easy I thought I was on a D! Couldn't find one note that was out of tune, and the horn's range was very nice from below pedal BBb all the way up to high F above the staff.
UMI has outdone itself with this horn and it makes a wonderful sister horn to the 56/52j, which share some components, but it does have a different valve section.

If I had to give up my CC and pick a BBb tuba to play every day, it would be very difficult to choose between the King and the miraphone 191. They play very different, (the old German vs. American thing) but they are both great tubas. The 2341 is supposed to sell for less than a s186, which will make it very attractive. For anybody who can go to Texas bandmasters Convention later in the month, this same horn will be on display there. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Follow Ups: