Re: Re: Studies or Etudes for Eb tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 08, 2001 at 18:06:38:

In Reply to: Re: Studies or Etudes for Eb tuba posted by Chuck(G) on July 08, 2001 at 13:50:20:

Whoops! Actually, there are a couple that go down to low Ab and G. Unless you transpose the occasional note up an octave, you will need 4 valves or to use false tones. Ironically, they also don't go very high either, nothing more than high Bb or C I think. Despite the fact that I really like these studies and use them with all of my students, I wouldn't recommend them for Eb work except as a starting point. I frequently recommend these studies to someone just starting out on Eb (or F), especially if they've already worked on them with the big horn. That way I know they're familiar with the studies and will make a fine indoctrination to the smaller horn. But for serious work on the small horn, I would recommend the treble clef Arban (like Klaus mentioned), the Uber 15 Progressive Studies for Tuba or Bass Trombone, the Dubois 12 Studies in the Form of Solos, and the Berlioz orchestral excerpts. That should get you started!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: