Re: Re: What's yours?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by *~[Winton]~* on July 09, 2001 at 01:07:40:

In Reply to: Re: What's yours? posted by John Williams Arranger not Composer on July 08, 2001 at 18:46:57:

I think this is how it goes:

"good composers borrow, but great composers steal"

Yeah, all of us composers steal, but it's how well you decorate it and cover it up with your own icing on the cake. Yeah, I heard many time about John Williams really biting off, but I am not that knowlegable yet to make that judgement. I think most composers are apt to be better appreciators of music while other musicians are better critics.........sometimes. Because me and my friend (also a comp. major) and he is the first and the only one that doens't think Yanni's stuff doesn't sound alike (i ONLY listen to the Live album so I won't get any hate mails). And we both like his LIVE cd.

Anyways, I did hear a little bit of quoting-like or stealing-like passages in John Williams' works, but you know what? It sounds good! Especially "Superman" and "Hook", in my opinion.

-W

P.S. Did you know that back then, it was a compliment for quoting a passage or melody of one composer and using it or totally arranging it to make it their own? That's Stravinsky in his neo-classical stage.

Follow Ups: