Re: Possible Tuba Purchase

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 09, 2001 at 10:51:50:

In Reply to: Possible Tuba Purchase posted by Young Smith on July 09, 2001 at 07:18:14:

You've heard all you need to hear about the Jingbao.

As to your situation, you might find it quite difficult to find a decent 4/4-or-bigger CC tuba for two grand. A dented and ugly four-valve Miraphone or not-so-ugly Cerveny (also with four valves) might go for that price. They would probably require repairs to bring our their best. But I think you'd be better off saving some more money and waiting until you can spend at least $3000, at which time you can get a four-valve Miraphone or Cerveny in good, playable condition. Most others would want you to start at $4000, minimum.

If it weren't for your "large ensemble" requirement, I'd suggest the Weril, which is in your price range. But it is a 3/4 size instrument and too small for "large ensembles."

I would also give the dealers a call and talk to them about your requirements. For example, I know that Matt Walters has a few tubas not shown on the Dillon Music web page that he reserves for people in need, but you must ask.

You can also scout want-ads and other sources not frequented by tuba players (who will bid the prices up), but you may wait a long, long time to find that incredible deal.

If you can also play BBb, then your choices in used tubas suitable for large ensembles in that price range expand dramatically.

Rick "who would (naturally) rather have a decent BBb than an unplayable CC" Denney

Follow Ups: