Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Difference between Euphonium & Baritone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 09, 2001 at 16:01:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Difference between Euphonium & Baritone posted by Rick Denney on July 09, 2001 at 15:33:19:

Now, if only the fingering patterns you laid out actually worked that way in reality...

Those are very accurate charts you've listed (except for the four compensating valves list where you swapped the fingerings for A and Ab) for how the fingerings are SUPPOSED to work. This is theory only. Your chart for the three valve in spot on. Your chart for the four non-compensating valves is a good place to start with that type of horn though I have always had issues with the low F (1234) on those horns and even that fingering ends up being very sharp in almost all cases. I've never played a four compensating valves horn that used the fingerings you've listed below low G. There always seems to be sharpness that creeps in no matter what. If you use those fingerings, you better be ready to manipulate slides which is a nifty trick on the Besson instruments (3+1 configuration).

Here is the list for a five non-compensated valves Eb (or EEb):

Eb - open
D - 2
Db - 1
C - 12
B - 23
Bb - 4
A - 24
Ab - 45
G - 245 or 234
Gb - 345
F - 1345
E - 12345
Eb - open fundamental

Using these fingerings as a starting point, it is fairly easy to find a workable chromatic scale on individual instruments with only a modicum of experimentation. By the way, one of my favorite movie scores is the one to Baron Munchausen (unrelated topic). Good post Rick!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: