Re: Besson Euphonium- 181?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on July 10, 2001 at 15:27:34:

In Reply to: Besson Euphonium- 181? posted by Ben Garrison on July 10, 2001 at 13:12:44:

The model #181 is also an unknown term for me in Besson contexts. However this instrument undoubtedly is a Besson 4 valve compensating euphonium.

There are a number of characteristics, that must be seen in the light of each other, when one want to close in on the year of manufacture:

The cone shape of the finger buttons and the deep groves in the valve caps point towards this instrument being a Besson New Standard if it is from before about 1978. If it is from between 1978 and about 1982, it is a Besson Imperial. After about 1982 all Besson compensating euphoniums were Sovereigns.

If the mouthpiece receiver is of bass trombone dimensions, then this instrument is made in 1974 or later. If the receiver is of the medium, the socalled European dimension, then the manufacture year is 1973 or earlier.

If you can get informations on the engraved text and of the serial #, then a more precise year can be set.

The auction description tells, that there has been made some restoration work. Still I find that the "buy it now" price for an instrument, that is at least about 20 years old, is far too high. Again: this is my personal opinion.

Klaus

Follow Ups: