Re: Dry Mouth

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Flip Durango on July 10, 2001 at 19:23:24:

In Reply to: Dry Mouth posted by HELP! on July 09, 2001 at 22:56:12:

Lots of the followups here seem good. For my .02, I've always heard of bananas as helping alleviate perf. anxiety to begin with, which would help prevent drymouth before it happens, but I don't think bananas "prevent drymouth" in a specific or direct way.

I usually chew my tongue lightly. It's easy to get carried away with this technique as it's usually employed when you are nervous or even a bit panicky, hence the feeling of "I will chew my tongue and immeidate relief will follow!!" It does take 30 seconds or so for me, so just be patient, don't bite your tongue off, and try to relax.

I've heard conflicting stuff about water. For me, I always try to stay hydrated the day of a show. As far as water right before a solo, I've had people tell me that it removes a sort of "slime coat" from your mouth and can make you feel more dry. Don't know about this one. Others say you should even keep a mouthful of H2O on your way onstage and swallow it just before the first notes. Big range of opinions on this one.

As far as bitter stuff like citrus, this seems to work. Of course I'm no scientist (the planet would be in awful shape if I were) but the bitter taste does seem to induce a reaction from the spit glands.

good luck

Follow Ups: