Re: Difference between Euphonium & Baritone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on July 10, 2001 at 21:14:06:

In Reply to: Difference between Euphonium & Baritone posted by Lyn Christie on July 08, 2001 at 15:09:25:

I have far more important mischief-making to do elsewhere, so this will have to be the last time that I go through the "definitive explanation":

A "euphonium" is a c. 1950's or later Besson "Euphonium" - or copy (meaning anything built in the same approximate shape and up to 40% fatter, unless it is one foot shorter in overall length, at which point it becomes a "Tuba in ut".), or any 9 foot long bugle-instrument with TWO bells, OR a Conn baritone horn with a detachable bell and four valves - even though the Conn instrument would normally be disqualified due to its detachable and forward-tilting bell. In addition, Mirafone baritones are called "euphoniums" because, after all, they have rotary valves and are expensive.

Regardless of the instrument used, no one in middle school or junior high who does not take private lessons may play the euphonium, as these are all identified as "baritone players", but NO MATTER WHAT type of instrument a college student who takes private lessons plays, their instrument IS a euphonium because they are "euphonium players". No college teacher teaches baritone lessons, only euphonium lessons.

I hope for you, as others in the past, I have made this perfectly clear.

Follow Ups: