Re: Re: Re: Band Composers, a Survey

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ron on July 12, 2001 at 00:04:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Band Composers, a Survey posted by Chuck(G) on July 11, 2001 at 19:33:56:

I posted a list last night, but it was removed as well. I'll be civil about my arguments here so maybe this won't be removed. I understand the importance of Sousa and the march, but the man might as well have written one to be played over and over. His marches were one of the first opportunities for wind bands as they are known (or similarly) today, but as far as musical value they are garbage: most any person of importance in the wind band world will agree. If they don't it is because of a guilty feeling of betraying their beginnings. This being said, I must also differ on another point with you. You seem to be so firmly etched in the idea that the only band literature of importance was written in the first half of the century. Upon further thought, though, most everything that was written in that period for winds sticks out, since the venue had not caught on well. If I had written a large work for band in the 1920's I might be considered just as important because hardly anyone was doing it. Now that numerous people are composing, I believe that the success of musical production is thriving better than it ever has. In 100 years, the composers of the last 50 years will seem just as important; unfortunately now people don't appreciate them so much.

As you can probably tell, I am a fan of contemporary music. I enjoy watching stylistic movements in music take their course, and always am excited about what someone will come up with next. So I'm trying to nicely say, "Wake up and smell the roses." Good music is being written everyday, not just decades ago.

Alright, my ideas aren't connecting anymore so I'll get on with my list.

These are in addition to the more established names already listed by others (Sousa, Filmore, Holst, Grainger, Barber, Vaughan-Williams, and Williams)

Frank Ticheli
Fischer Tull
James Barnes
John Barnes Chance
Ronald Nelson
Martin Mailman
David Gillingham
W. Frances MacBeth
Karel Husa
Vincent(?) Persichetti
William Schuman
Peter Mennin
David Holsinger
Roger Nixon
Michael Daugherty
...and my absolute favorite and the winner of the award for original, nonreproduceable style: Vaclav Nelhybel

Follow Ups: