Re: Re: Re: Mouthpiece for Sousaphon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob P-M on July 13, 2001 at 09:37:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Mouthpiece for Sousaphon posted by Bill on July 12, 2001 at 14:58:39:

My sources for the equivalence of the Conn 2 cup and diameter and backbore (not the big cushion rim) are several UMI tuba reps, in discussions at the NYC Brass Conference. I don't use a 7B, so I've never done the measurements, but the Conn 2 is a Helleberg style deep cup and the rim diameter is a little smaller than the Shilke Helleberg II which I use on my tubas.

As to the King 26, which I do have, it is a much more cup shaped mouthpiece, not a Helleberg style design. That mouthpiece works OK on King 1250 (old numbering)/2350 (current numbering) sousaphones with .687" bore, but I do not like it at all on the larger .734" bore Conn 20K/14K/38K/40K sousaphones. Interestingly, although the King 26 was shipped with the 1240/1 tubas (also .687" bore") the 2340/1 now ships with a UMC clone Bach 24AW equivalent. I tried the King 26 on my 2341, as well as Bach 18 and 24AW, but I keep coming back to the Schilke Helleberg II because it really opens up the low registere, is good in the cash register and works acceptably in the high register.

I agree that the Conn 1 is a big mouthpiece, it's interesting that you compare it to the Dillon Chief, since that's based on the old Conn Chief (which I've played on a big Holton helicon, but never really liked). It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Conn 1 was based on the Conn Chief, the Conn 2 on the Helleberg 7B, and the Conn 3 and Conn 4 on Eb mouthpieces of the 20's and before.

Follow Ups: