Re: Reynolds 4 valve Eb sousaphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on July 16, 2001 at 07:28:26:

In Reply to: Reynolds 4 valve Eb sousaphone posted by Hans Mulders (Dutch) on July 16, 2001 at 04:57:39:

Your posting of course has raised my curiosity.

First some questions:

"It has a matt silver body and a laquer bell." Is the bell laquered on the outside also? Or is the inside laquered in some fake gold colour and the oustside silverplated in a frosted finish? (My Conn 26K Eb is made that way).

If the bell is all laquer, then the instrument is a hybrid of two specimens. If both sections are from the same model, this is OK. It even might be OK if the hybridisation is across brands, but you will have to check out compatibility and tightness of the bell collars.

"but it needs no technical maintenance". Does that mean, that the valves work freely, and that all slides can be pulled?

Are the valves reasonably tight (pop test)?

How bad is the bell and body? Personally I would be sad, if my sousaphones looked like the one linked to below. But if there are no rips in the metal, repairmen can make wonders out of such situations. (Actually this curly Conn was bought by a repairman, so we will see it back on auction in short time).

If I were in your situation, I would try to balance these factors:

Does the instrument actually play? And does it do so in a way, that appeals to you?

What is the price to be payed to your supplier?

What will the repair costs add up to, if the instrument should be brought into a shape you would accept?

This instrument is a 4 valve sousaphone. To my knowledge, such instruments are no longer made in the original US tradition. The added 4th valve makes low range playing much more pleasant, which is especially important for an Eb instrument. And as it is an Eb instrument, it can still be carried on your shoulder. My 4 valve BBb Conn 40K is not kind to my shoulder, so I like my Wenger chair.

Summed up:

Musical value plus the rarity factor should at least balance the combined costs.

Klaus

Follow Ups: