Re: Should I use CC for Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony on July 16, 2001 at 08:38:39:

In Reply to: Should I use CC for Band? posted by James McNeil on July 15, 2001 at 13:42:23:

I do a lot of teaching of HS and MS students. The main issue is whether or not you can get the horn to school everyday. If you feel like dragging it to school, and that it will be safe in the band room, go ahead. I wouldn't be concerned about the blend issue. Its still HS(no offense). But, to make things easier, I would just keep it at home and practice on it, maybe bring it in for concerts and stuff. Switching back and forth from CC tuba and BBb tuba really is not a problem. I remember switching between CC, Sousaphone and F tuba back in the day, and I do the same now when I teach(BBb, not sousa). As for the marching band issue...go ahead and do it, too. I tend to disagree with some of the opinions given here. I believe that the extra 15 hours a week or so that the horn is on your face can only improve your playing. You do have to make sure you are playing correctly, but I cant see how blowing lots of air thru a tuba at an early age can hurt your playing rather than help it. Thats a seperate issue all together. Hope this helps some, but remember...just do what you want to do.

Tony

Follow Ups: