Re: Large vs. Small (or G-50 vs. Neptune)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 16, 2001 at 12:19:52:

In Reply to: Large vs. Small (or G-50 vs. Neptune) posted by Anthony on July 14, 2001 at 23:56:43:

I played next to a fellow at a recent concert who was using a G-50. He was a great player brought in to fill the ranks, and with him there, we played our very best. If his G-50 suffered from being too small, I couldn't tell it. Granted, our all-comers community band is not on the same planet as the Dallas Wind Symphony, but he didn't have a section playing with him up to that standard, either. Three players like him, all with G-50's, could have easily buried our group. If the other two of us were like him, his help would not have been needed.

I heard a top professional play a large York-a-like in a quintet setting, and I thought the sound not agile enough for some of the literature. This player is one of the best in the world, so I blame the choice of horn (he had no 4/4 horn at the time).

I would therefore suggest that the G-50 could meet all of your required playing situations while a Neptune could only be used in a couple of them.

Rick "presumptuous as usual" Denney

Follow Ups: