Re: YBB 641, CC vs. BBb, and Other Delights

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve C on July 16, 2001 at 15:00:44:

In Reply to: YBB 641, CC vs. BBb, and Other Delights posted by From Parts Unknown on July 16, 2001 at 13:49:39:

OK, a touch on the 641.
The player beside me in Winds plays one of these. I have played it quite a bit, and I played this horn when I auditioned. I felt it was a great horn. I agree with all of your points on this horn. I would add that intonation gets funky in the upper register, but this seems common on Yamaha tubas (My YCB822 does the same thing). My only quarrels are the rotors...I just don't like rotors, personal preference, and its hard to hold. I do have problems blending in that band, but players around me are all on BBb tubas of the rotor design and me on my 822CC in the middle, with a player on a CC Conn 3J on the end...hmmm
As for BBb and CC horns, you're right, there are fine horns of both types, I just like my CC. Most companies seem to have more variety in CC tubas, probably because the CC is seen as a pro horn with the BBb as an amateur horn...I think I read that on here once. I agree though, there are, for the most part, superior and inferior players, not horn types.
Steve C

Follow Ups: