Re: Re: Re: Polite tuba testing.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Retail Sympathiser on July 16, 2001 at 22:16:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Polite tuba testing. posted by Sean Chisham on July 16, 2001 at 13:47:55:

I don't think there is such a thing as a "demo" MW-2165 (if the store that has 2165's can help it), and often to be competitive the profit margin (even at that price point) is only a very few hundred bucks.

I read Mike's post below. Mike is a great player, a very very classy guy, a great salesman with years of experience selling tubas, and is very knowledgable...I sent my university students to purchase tubas from him (and they DID - $$$$) - heck, I would buy a tuba from Mike, but truth be told Mike is not the owner of those tubas...

Today 7/16/01:

A customer walks in...
"Can I see those brand new model FX$5000+ bassoons that you have in stock?"
"Sure."
...customer proceeds to assemble the instrument, dragging the silver-plated boot cap along the tile floor... We politely intercede and offer 'assistance'.
"bleet, thwack, honk, Bb scale - sort of, spit-spit-spit, (fingerprints all over the silver-plated keys, of course - OK), bump-bump."
"Well, what do you think about that instrument?"
"Oh, its great. Say, do those $12.95 metronomes subdivide?"
"Metronomes?(??) Oh...no those do not. The lowest cost metronome that subdivides is this one. It's $28 plus tax."
"Oh...Momma?" [Momma]"I don't have that much right now. I'll have to come back after I get paid. Its really expensive raising these kids, you know."
"Yes ma'am. It certainly is."
...customer walks out

Unfortunately, it seems that around 20-30% of customers behave in this manner. Its not Mike's place to make his venue seem an unwelcoming nor a resentful place, and indeed he and his boss have succeeded in making it a VERY VERY VERY friendly place for tuba players.

Let's not take too much advantage (in the negative connotation of that phrase) of wonderful venues such as Mike's, Charlie's, Matt's, Tony's...etc.

If I can educate a few insensitive 15-to-25-year-olds and their insensitive parents about proper deportment in a retail establishment offering exclusive and delicate merchandise, then I will take advantage of this fantastic forum to do so. The vast majority of shoppers do not need to hear this lecture, and your personal playing of various models to "scope them out" for friends and students is not at all to what I was referring.

Follow Ups: