Re: Re: Re: Re: Another Brasswind Diary

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 17, 2001 at 10:20:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Another Brasswind Diary posted by R.S. on July 16, 2001 at 22:28:06:

Were you explaining that to me or accusing me of it? I don't recall bringing ego into the discussion. And the last thing I want to do is show disrespect for the point of view of a person who has fought in those trenches. That was my point in bringing up the Memphis accent.

Mostly what I was trying to do, while providing a proper business justification for Matt's hospitality in spite of the risks, was to outline what I, as a responsible tire-kicker, did to justify my tire-kicking. In that, my objective was the same as yours: Educating those who haven't considered the effects of their behavior in the hopes that they will improve on it. The relationship between buyer and seller can only be successful if both parties behave responsibly.

And I absolutely agree that we should be grateful for those who choose to provide retail showrooms for tubas, despite the risks and questionable profit potential, and that we should act like we are grateful.

The fact that Mike doesn't own the tubas he sells at Brasswind doesn't mean that if the Brasswind owners decide the business is too risky, he won't be out of work. So he has considerable at stake--perhaps even more than the owners--especially in the short term. I'm sure he realizes this.

If I may be presumptuous yet again, I would say that the reason you attracted flames is because you chose a responsible and legitimate shopper to challenge. Had you started with your bassoon story, you would have found a sympathetic audience.

Rick "who would have been a better target for your comments" Denney

Follow Ups: