Re: buying a "handmade" yorkbrunner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim C. on July 20, 2001 at 07:11:21:

In Reply to: buying a "handmade" yorkbrunner posted by wanting to buy on July 19, 2001 at 17:17:59:

If you're talking about the HB-6, Custom Music lists them new at $17,000, but I believe that the price is based on the HB-50, since Hirsbrunner doesn't make the HB-6 too often. (I don't think they've made one in a while). Fred (AT) Custom told me that the HB-6 in new condition could (note COULD) fetch up to $25k, as they are handmade - I guess that's assuming you can find one from that era in pristine condition, and can find an HB-6 owner willing to sell, and of course have a spare $25k sitting around.

If you've found one at a decent price, be realistic about it. Take it to a shop & have them check the valves & pipes for excessive wear. I got the one I have (no - it is NOT for sale) in the early 80's (it was made in '76) at a "steal" of a price (about $5k). It needed some minor work then, and is in need of some maintenance now (age related - valve wear & such). You may find similar issues with the one you may be considering.

Good luck!

Follow Ups: