Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Damping

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cliff on July 20, 2001 at 09:51:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Damping posted by Rick Denney on July 20, 2001 at 09:17:24:

Rick,

You reminded me of something a professor in college said. I was more interested in getting out, so I don't really listen. He said that true education teaches people to think critically/creatively for themselves, but that anybody could be "trained" as a technician (the cookbook?) His point was for us budding teacher wanna-be's was to teach our students concepts, and not not just everything by rote, so that they could apply concepts to things not covered by "the book". The way he stated it at the time sounded elitist to me, but I see more everyday that this is true. My engineer wife doesn't think about the mechanics of deformable bodies all the time (I hope not), but all of those physics courses contribute to her understanding of concepts. Likewise, I don't sit around and harmonize Bach chorale melodies, but all that I did in college helps me in arranging for my band. Are there educated people who are mere "technicians"? Oh yeah, but I'm with you, I want to drive on the bridge signed-off on by a P.E. not a draftsman

Cliff

Follow Ups: