Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Damping

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on July 20, 2001 at 14:43:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Damping posted by Rick Denney on July 20, 2001 at 09:17:24:

We're talking about apples and oranges here.

If I'm going drive over a bridge, true, I want it done by the book and standards. By some grunt in an engineering firm who hasn't had an original thought in his life and whose biggest worry in life is protecting his job and his paycheck. But true progress is made only by those who have genuine intellectual curiosity. Often, that's not the people with the paper--and sometimes not the ones with the paycheck.

There are some that argue that certification is a way to avoid judging the competency of an individual; if he has the necessary papers, he must be competent. Perhaps the odds are improved, but a certain number of idiots can make it through the best filters.

And then there are those who advocate certification as a way toward job security. Those are the people we must be wary of.

Currently, there is some talk about offering certification and graduate degrees in a field that I helped start. Most of the talk is being generated by those who want to limit entry and secure themselves a steady meal ticket, which attitude I despise.

For genuine progress, give me the curious person, professional or amateur. For safety, give me the guy who knows what the heck he's doing.

Follow Ups: