Re: Re: Re: a finger chart for a contra bugle

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland (should've found this thread sooner) on July 21, 2001 at 02:58:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: a finger chart for a contra bugle posted by Matt C. on July 16, 2001 at 12:08:44:

To date, there aren't many corps that have made the switch to Bb (and F mellophones), although a couple were surprising.

Blue Devils, Kiwanis Kavaliers, Cadets, Carolina Crown, JSU Spirit (in essence, Spirit Of Atlanta), Santa Clara Vanguard, and the Cavaliers (Rosemont, IL) are all on Bb's now. Cavaliers, in particular, was a huge surprise, considering that they were one of the three DCI member corps that voted against the Bb rule.

JSU Spirit is largely connected with Jacksonville State University, and their brasses are going to be used by the band in the fall. That was one of the main intents behind the rule change -- allowing for existing music programs to outfit a corps, or vice versa. The Cadets had already been renting their contrabasses out during the winter, switching the previously DCI-required G slides with the stock Bb slides on their Yamaha 201M's.

The jury is still out on the sonic performance of Bb-equipped hornlines, and will probably always be debated. The quality of teaching and arranging style makes more of a difference than the horns, but the overall opinion is leaning towards Bb = brighter, quieter; and G = darker, louder.

Anyway, about fingerings --

It depends on the corps. The corps in Bb (rumors hold that Crossmen and SCV Cadets will make the switch soon) will be using regular tuba fingerings, matching pitch-for-pitch. Corps staying in G use different methods -- a rare few use bass clef & Bb fingerings (a written Bb is open, but sounds a concert G), some might use bass clef C fingerings (written C is open, also sounding a G), and most still use treble clef C fingerings (again, written C is open, sounding a G).

None of that really matters much, though. The function of a corps is performance refinement, not sightreading, so you're only going to be learning how to read the music for maybe a month after you receive it, or until it's memorized. Midseason changes in the show are often handed out on new sheets, but also, if they're small enough, are sometimes taught by rote.

I was a trombone player when I started 15 years ago, and learned how to play on valves, and in treble clef, all at once. I've spent time on contras with two pistons, three pistons, 2 pistons + a half-step slide (my own King, still the best contra I've ever marched), one piston + one rotor (right hand operates a whole-step piston, left hand on a half-step rotor), and currently 2 pistons + a half-step rotor in the Marine D&B Corps.

People always ask, "How do you play all the notes when you don't have the valves for them?" It's an easy answer -- you just don't write those notes. Custom arrangements are the norm, and any "shortcomings" (which are referred to as "characteristics" or "charming features" of other nonchromatic instruments.. ahem...) are simply avoided.

Follow Ups: