Re: Who is Bretterbutzel?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on July 23, 2001 at 06:04:01:

In Reply to: Who is Bretterbutzel? posted by Art on July 22, 2001 at 22:50:07:

One certain band instruments travelling salesman in the US (his identity unknown to me) bought older used instruments, when he visited US educational institutions.

When he could fill up a container, he shipped it to Europe. Then his European connections among band instrument dealers could buy, what they wanted from the shipment.

Part of the idea was that their repair shops could use surplus hours through low seasons to rebuild the often very abused US instruments.

This, true, anecdote to illustrate, that it is not uncommon for tradesmen to search ressources of older instrument.

I do not know the German dealer Bretterbutzel, a name that might mean something like Blockdude with an auction allusion.

But it appears, that most of the instruments he sells are of Czech origin.

Even after the change of political systems in Czechia and Slovakia, their pricelevels are very low compared to those of Germany and other West European countries. German Marks are very attractive in the formerly communistic countries.

So if you have got connections and a truck, you have got a business.

Another business-out-of-the-truck story:

In my country there is an official importer of Amati and Cerveny instruments. Some like the prices and services as seen in his retail store.

In the rest of the market a wheeler-dealer type found himself a niche. He advertised instruments of the same two Czech makes at considerably lower prices.

There was a catch, however. One had to place firm orders. And one could not be given a firm date of delivery.

The scheme had it this way: When the dealer had received orders that could fill his truck, and not until then, he started out for Czechia to fetch the instruments in a retail store down there. No connections to the factories. Still very cheap prices for him. Back to the customers to deliver.

When I played in band together with an employé of the official importer I heard about a "funny" detail of the practices of the inofficial importer: if his customers claimed warranty repairs and adjustments, he told them that they could get these services for free from the shop of the official importer. Which was not true, and which created some less pleasant situations.

Klaus

PS: A proof of my opening anecdote is sitting on its stand 8 feet behind me: My Conn 26K.

Follow Ups: