Re: Kanstul concert tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on July 23, 2001 at 09:07:03:

In Reply to: Kanstul concert tubas posted by Klaus on July 23, 2001 at 08:13:22:

I helped demo the convertable marching horn in Florida a few years back for some Central Florida band directors. The 4/4 is a fairly big horn so I guess the 5/4 would be a little bigger. The bore is small though, I would guess on previous experience that it would be decently free blowing. Kanstuls horns are light to carry and a bit on the bright side sound-wise, but an excellent alternative to other marching tubas and convertables. I told them that the 4/4 would be great if they could stick a fourth valve on it and make it just a concert tuba, and they did, to my suprise. These are well built horns, but the price seems a bit high. The 5/4 would be interesting though with that "King" valveset. All of Kanstuls big valve tooling is all old Reynolds tooling which is nearly identical to King's valve tooling. Because of this, thee horns have a very similar blow to the king 2341. I would guess from this that the 5/4 would feel from the looks of the beast, a lot like the "old" 2341. However, real world experience will more than likely yeild some different results.
Matt G

Follow Ups: