Re: Ready to throw my horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Swensen on July 26, 2001 at 11:25:08:

In Reply to: Ready to throw my horn posted by in the river on July 25, 2001 at 22:18:10:

I am not a professional tubist, but I would like to offer a few observations, anyway.

It would appear that, in 12 years of playing, you may have developed some habits that are not working in the upper register, and your efforts to play higher may be reinforcing those habits that have not been working for you.

While it may be counter-productive to focus on which parts of your lips are (or are not) vibrating, is it possible that the embouchure distortions and higher mouthpiece pressure may be contributing to the problems with your lip's vibrations?

If I may be so bold as to offer advice, I would suggest that you give yourself a chance to learn some more useful habits, rather than reinforcing less useful habits, and refrain from playing in the upper register for a while. Instead, work on buzzing your tuba mouthpiece, maintaining the same embouchure you use for a C in the staff, and using minimal pressure (balancing your mouthpiece on your thumb while buzzing may help to keep the pressure off). Try buzzing once-octave arpeggios up and down, starting on the C below the staff, and progressing upwards chromatically until the notes don't come without increasing pressure, raising your tongue, closing your throat, or distorting your embouchure. If that means you stop when you reach the A at the top of the staff, then stop at the A. Repeat the exercise, starting on the C below the staff, but progressing chromatically downwards, until the notes don's come without distorting your embouchure. The whole point of the exercise it to develop and reinforce the habit of maintaining a consistent embouchure, not to play higher right away. All this time, work to maintain a resonant buzz, using lots of air (enough to blow out a candle at arm's length).

It will take time (months, probably) to teach your muscles and brain to do what ever is necessary to make the sounds, but even if you only progress one semitone every month, in a year you will have added a full octave to your range (two octaves, if your low register extends similarly). Performing this exercise more than twice a day is probably counter-productive; you are, mostly, training your brain.

Follow Ups: