Re: how to improve rhythmn and time

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce H on July 26, 2001 at 16:15:13:

In Reply to: how to improve rhythmn and time posted by Need Help on July 26, 2001 at 09:42:27:

The best way to improve your sightreading is to play a lot. Get in with some jazz bands and some Big Bands. I play in several and this is how it generally works. The first night you show up at rehearsal (it is not a practice session) they throw about 600 different charts at you. You may be playing with 15 or 20 guys that you have never met before. Most likly they have been playing together and know the music so you have to keep up. Most of the music is hand written and you will have to transpose most of it into a different key or a different octive as you are playing. A lot of the music is written out in numeric notation - there are no notes. Be prepared to play in any key at any time. Know your cycle of 4ths and 5ths like the back of your hand. If you can't cut it that first night you are not asked back. It's a blast.

I was a tuba major in college 25 years ago. The best advice my teacher told me was to learn to play the stand up bass and the electric bass if you want to get paying jobs. The low brass or bass player is the beat of the band. This is a generalization but most "drummers" are either too drunk, stoned, or just plain crazy to know what is going on to carry the beat.

Playing the tuba is not what I do for a living. I enjoy it too much to do it as a living. I play in several different bands, groups and small ensymbals and turn down most opportunities to play because I just don't have the time. Expand your horizons, pick up the electric bass and put your music theory classes to good use. While I am on the subject, I know a lot of younger tuba players in college and H.S. Does anybody know how to play music anymore? The attitude I see in a lot of younger players is that they have a big, expensive horn and by golly, they are going to make a big sound. Playing the right note is not even half of what you have to do as a musician. Playing the right note is a given. If you can't do that don't even bother to look for a paying job. You have to know how to do all the other stuff that makes being a musician a special calling.

There are a lot of playing opportunities out there but you have to be aggressive in seeking them out. You will learn to be a good sight reader by playing a lot.

Good luck.

Follow Ups: