Re: Eb recommendations

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on July 26, 2001 at 23:50:21:

In Reply to: Eb recommendations posted by Seeker on July 24, 2001 at 08:42:14:

I know you are not interested in the compensating horns, but I would say, at least try a Besson 981 or 982. I use an old Boosey which is similar to the 982 for all my work in quintet, tuba quartet, a "pops" orchestra, some jazz work and an occassional concert band gig. the 981 and 982 have a larger sound than the 983 you tried and the intonation on my horn is very good so I do not need to pull slides. The only alternate fingerings I use are on high D, Eb and E above the staff. Sometimes I use 1&2 for top spaced G, depending on the key of the piece and the pitch of the ensemble. Also I think the low register fingerings are much more logical than the 5valved fingerings. Granted the response down low (below a low BBb say) may be a little stuffier than the 5 valved version, but the newer horns have gotten better, which is why I am considering getting anew one myself. After playing this horn for 15 years I don't know if I want to go throught the hassle of learning new noncomp fingerings. You can't teach an old dog new tricks!
good luck and have fun horn hunting, ken k

Follow Ups: