Re: Band Literature and the Tuba Player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by From Parts Unknown on July 28, 2001 at 16:45:29:

In Reply to: Band Literature and the Tuba Player posted by Katy Jablonski on July 28, 2001 at 14:23:54:

The Holst Suites I & II are fun and challenging for developing tuba players. If you are familiar with a march entitled "Army of the Nile", the tuba part is fairly difficult (but REALLY fun) at times for younger players. For tuba solo with band, there are several "dog-eared" copies of "Beelzebub" out there. It's a challenge for younger players, and it helps them to develop a little range (Eb above the staff I think). If you need something for the football stands, two of my personal favorites in terms of tuba parts are "Disco Inferno" published in the late 70's, and the Bob Cotter arrangement of "We Got the Beat" that came out in the early 80's from Jenson. I'm sure that they are still in filing cabinets around the country. For fun etudes, I LOVE the Beeler book part two. There are some really fine finger etudes, a variety of keys, and some double & triple tongue etudes that are a blast for kids. In terms of balance, please do not allow your tuba players to be bashful during development. In recent years, many "non-brass playing" band directors have started the "controlled sound" (i.e. WEAK) approach to air. Just tell 'em to pump the air, keep the teeth apart, and have some FUN! Hopefully these are some general comments and suggestions that will come in handy.

Follow Ups: