Re: Dumb question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by who knows low note names? on July 30, 2001 at 21:53:41:

In Reply to: Dumb question posted by Erik on July 30, 2001 at 20:39:43:

I think one of the notational naming conventions uses capital and lower case letters to indicate notes in printed material. This is from very fuzzy memory, and this may also be incorrect. [Corrections welcome from the list.]

But it's something like:

Trumpet tuning "c" (a written c, actually a Bb as we all know) = c'
Middle c = c
C one octave below middle c = C
C two octaves below middle c = CC
Bb two octaves and a whole step below middle C = BBb

Hence Bb, one octave down from middle c, indicates the euphonium's pitch (2nd harmonic), and BBb indicates the BBb contrabass tuba's pitch (2nd harmonic).

Now it's possible I'm off by an octave, in which case BBb and CC are actually the names for the notes an octave lower than I suggested, in which case the pitches for euph and BBb contrabass tuba are based on the names of their fundamental pitch (or open pedal tone).

Again -- somebody help me out here. Thanks.

Now, just to add to the confusion, there is another, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MEANING to the term "double tuba", or "double horn". This has nothing to do with a contrabass tuba in the key of Bb being called BBb, or "double Bb" tuba (which as noted above is a way to indicate either the fundamental or 2nd harmonic pitch of the instrument). This SECOND meaning of "double" instrument means an instrument (very infrequently, but possibly a tuba -- see Dr. Fred Young's tuba for an example), usually a "french" horn that is built such that it is really two instruments "welded together" with a "double Y" valve. (Note, this is the typical situation for all 4 valve, "double" French horns -- nothing new here.

So the "french" horn is actually a horn in the key of F AND a horn in the key of Bb a 4th higher. Each of the 3 main valves is actually a DOUBLE valve, with two independent halves. Each half has it's own tuning slide. The all-important 4th valve is really a switch, directing the airflow from the leadpipe either through the F or the Bb side of the double horn, and redirecting the returning air back into the main pathway leading to the bell. When the switch valve is thrown to the F side of the horn, the length of tubing is the same as an F tuba, with three tuning slides for this half of the horn. Likewise, when thrown the other way, you have an instrument with tubing the length of an euphonium, with three more, independent tuning slides for the other side (or end) of the valves. I.E. the three "main" rotary valves are twice as tall/deep as a normal tuba rotary valve, with two separate halves -- one for the F side and one for the Bb side of the instrument, with a single spatula / lever for each valve. This is a different setup than a compensating instrument uses, but that's a different topic altogether. Same is true for the reason the tubing in the "french" horn is twice as long as would be inferred by the typical range the instrument is used to play. It's fun to tell horn players that they are really playing small bore, compact, F tubas . . . .

Regards,

Steve "carpal tunnel" Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: