Re: willson tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 01, 2002 at 14:14:25:

In Reply to: willson tuba posted by Louis Yeo on July 01, 2002 at 09:35:11:

I played on both the piston and rotary versions of this horn at the recent ITEC. They were both really nice tubas. I preferred the piston model which was a little disappointing to me because I was really hoping I would like the rotary one better (I really prefer rotary valves). Willson only brought one of each model so maybe things would come out differently if there were multiple examples of each. I would say this tuba is very comparable to my Nirschl 6/4. I think the response on my Nirschl was maybe a little better but that may just be the fact that I'm used to my horn. Considering the quality of the construction and the great sound these horns are capable of, I think you'd be well advised to try one out and see for yourself. By the way, if you do try one out, be sure and see if they'll send you an ME (Marty Erickson) mouthpiece to go with it. I tried an ME-5 at the ITEC and it really worked very well with the 3050. As you may know, finding the right mouthpiece to go with the right horn can make all the difference. Good luck!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: