Re: best mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on July 02, 2002 at 20:06:21:

In Reply to: best mouthpiece posted by Tuda on July 02, 2002 at 03:43:13:

I've been a mouthpiece maven long enough to learn the hard way, that the differences in horns is far, far greater than the differences in m.p.'s. That's NOT to say that m.p.'s aren't important - they are. However, one's preferences in m.p.'s is also a very personal thing. But to complicate the issue, I also believe that I, for one, could get used to playing darn near any m.p. In addition, some horns are more "m.p. sensitive" than other ones. That means that some horns play really well with a much smaller range of different m.p. sizes and/or shapes.

You mentioned the Monette m.p.'s. Those are a more radical design - some people like them, some don't. Their's is a heavy weight m.p. that has a much bigger bulk of its mass placed further down the m.p., where the "stem" normally begins on more conventional m.p.'s. The only way you'll ever know if you'd like such a piece, is if you actually played one yourself.

Anyway, probably the best way to approach this question with the experts on this site, is to ask what m.p. would be a good match for the particular horn that you're playing. Then you'll probably get lots of useful advice (unlike mine).

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: