Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: why play wagner?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on July 04, 2002 at 13:46:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: why play wagner? posted by Charles D. Ortega on July 04, 2002 at 13:05:45:

CHARLIE!!

One morning in 1992, Pete E. and I were off to some Kinder Koncert with RSO or ISO. While on IH 35 this acrid, thick smoke started pouring out of the dashpad vents. It was so bad that we had to pull off for fear of having an accident. When it finally abated, we climbed back in and went on out way to the gig. We really smelled bad! Our tuxes had absorbed a great deal of the smoke and ticked off all of the violas and basses. Never found out the source of the smoke and never found any damage either. Damn that car...

It was never stolen, but was anti-stolen once. One morning, my neighbor's van was boosted. It was parked right next to the Mustang. The car on the other side of it had been broken into and lost its radio. My car had both windows down and doors unlocked. It wasn't even touched...sigh. What a sad commentary on the condition of that car...

During the winter of 1990 the door lock broke. One morning I smelled really bad B.O. coming from my back seat. A quick examination yielded half-eaten dog biscuits on the floorboard.

I realized that a homeless person had been using my unlockable car for shelter at night during a really cold snap. Figuring that I couldn't really keep them out of my car, I started leaving a pillow and several blankets in the back seat for them with a note saying that I had recently been homeless for a number of months and that the car, while a piece of junk, was important to me. I wrote that I would allow them to sleep there as long as they did not tear it up, leave "filth" in it, or steal it.

And every morning for another couple of weeks I would find my blankets folded neatly in the back seat after having been used. I left food sometimes too. After having been helped by so many at UNT to stay enrolled while I was homeless, I felt that I owed something. So I gave back what I could.

Wade

Follow Ups: