Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: why play wagner?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MG on July 04, 2002 at 21:59:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: why play wagner? posted by Mac Fish on July 04, 2002 at 17:39:51:

What do you mean "it important to see what the composer intended"? The composer's intention are in the music are they not? Tempo, dynamics, articulation, written directions, etc. Outside of that why is it important to know what the composer intended if he intended anything at all? What in the hell did Vaughn Williams mean with that 3rd movement anyway. So discunct and choppy compared to the 2nd. Perhaps he was signifying an end to humanity or perhaps it was his way of saying technology is moving way to fast and it will be an end to outdoor band concerts as we know them. I can't listen to it the same anymore! I used to enjoy the piece. Now, I just get agitated and want to beat the crap out of my CD burner! Oh the humanity! What of all the poor slobs in the concert hall who are not aware of the composers intentions or the history of the work or the conditions leading up to the writing of the work or the social upheaval at the time. I don't understand how anyone can enjoy a concert anymore. There is just too much information one must know. No wonder our elected officials are so quick to cut the budgets of what our states give to arts organizations...there is just too much they have to know. Where will it end? Who put the bop in the bop-da-dilly-dang? What did they mean by it? Spelled backwards it is pob. What does that mean!? Am I suppose to know? What if they come for me and I don't know? I'm going back to rocket science. It is far less complicated.

Follow Ups: