Re: Re: Re: Recordings of Hindemiths Sonate for Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ola on July 08, 2002 at 06:25:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Recordings of Hindemiths Sonate for Tuba posted by Tony Z. on July 08, 2002 at 01:48:23:

Many regards the tempo in the beginning (allegro pesante) more as pesante and less allegro. If you listen to Abe Torchinsky's recording, that would in my opinion sound morae like 'largo pesante' but is the kind of tempo many students and younger players choose. The 'breakneck speed' you are talking about is more like allegro, with the pesante added to the allegro tempo, which is what is indicated in the music!

Jim Gourlay has just recorded the sonata, I believe he recorded it with Doyen. That'll be a good one when it comes out, most likely in a 'breakneck tempo' ;-) The last movement there was done in two full takes only, no patches (according to his pianist). And I heard the pianist practise the last variation of the last movement in front of me and that WAS breakneck tempo! I really couldn't follow the music to save my life! But he said he needed to be able to play it that fast to be secure and consistent in the performance tempo.

Fwiw

O

Follow Ups: