Off center aperture/embouchure?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on July 08, 2002 at 09:51:39:

I am asking for advice from those who do not use the center of their lips as the point of the aperture or of "buzzing." Just right of center my upper lip dips upward somewhat or has a small valley in it because I had 6 stitiches on that side of the upper lip. So, when I use the center of my lips as the aperture, then on high notes my lip slips into the small valley and the pitch changes. The answer is to make the aperture a little left of center.

For those of you who do something similar, do you (1) still place the horizontal midpoint or center of the lips at the horizontal midpoint of the mouthpiece? In this case the air column does not follow a perpendicular axis from the plane of the rim into the throat of the mpc but it is slightly askew or slanted. Or, (2) do you place the midpoint of the lips just right of center so that the slightly left aperture point is still at the horizontal midpoint or center of the mouthpiece?

I do not have a clear mouthpiece yet, and I know what sounds the best (my lips slip into the position of the aperture at the exact midpoint of my lips though I want to train them so the aperture is slightly left of midpoint). However, I want to be able to visualize the exact placement to help develop consistency of embouchure and the exact vibrating point so I can refine and expand the high range. Some teachers feel it is best not to try to visualize the physcial aspects of the embouchure.

Thanks for any information, experience, or advice. Bill

Follow Ups: