Re: Re: Re: Re: "Custom" Engraving ;-)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by History 101 on July 08, 2002 at 17:05:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: "Custom" Engraving ;-) posted by Brian Frederiksen on July 08, 2002 at 16:23:05:

Another interesting bit of history. So, why not make it trackable as a bit of history.

I have often wondered where the old Alex F is these days. Shame it did not have something saying This is the horn jake used when Fritz wanted a small tuba, but Jake went back to the York and this F was replaced by a newer 5V Alex F - or something like that.

Anybody remember Fred Geib? He had been pretty well known up to the mid 60's. I once bought an old Cerveny from him which was one of the first imported into the US. Fred claimed that it was the 'model' which was used by HN White Co as a pattern for the early King rotary valve horns. One could see similarities in concept, thought the Cerveny had a progressive taper through the valve sevtion and they were quite different to play and in sound "German" vs "American" to a discernable extent. I sold it on to one of the other guys at Schilke to raise a bit of quick $$ when i got called to move from Chicago to Boston. Wonder where it ever went.

Don't know what Harvey has these days, but he used to have some of Helleberg's little old Conn CC's. Who would ever know they were if not told. Then too, what did Harvey do with the one he used for so many years....covered in black tape for years until i did some work on it in Boston in 70-71 just before the new 2J came out.

Then there would be Jake's Besson CC - reportedly has been at Dillons, E-bay etc.

Of course the story of York 2 is interesting. Seems Jake told you and me slight variations on its history. I got it that Karl Geyer removed the fifth valve (without permission - "you don't need it, somebody else did- the horn is better now" ) and sold it very cheap as it "just wasn't any good any more" back about late 50's.

Then there is Jakes "smaller" York CC which he almost used for the RVW with Gould/CSO.
It eneded up with (as I am told) Ron Bishop, then the recent tubist with the NZBC orchestra in Aukland NZ and now with Jon in Wellington NZ.

So, yep, do it. With tasteful finesse, of course.

Ken H

Follow Ups: