Re: Monettes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dr. Phil Golson on July 09, 2002 at 16:10:23:

In Reply to: Monettes posted by John on July 09, 2002 at 11:41:47:

I recently bought the Monette 98 from a fellow on this list who had purchased several at ITEC. I got the 98 for $120 less than normal asking price, so I went for it.

I have been trying the 98 out on a yamaha 641, a Kalison DS CC, and a Cerveny 3/4 BBb. I have also been using the same solo with a number of mouthpieces, including a Conn Helleburg 7b (my original, tried and true), a Marc...3, and a standard bach.

The Monette takes a little getting used to, but I have found that its volume does center the tone better, it is a full and rich sound, and low register in particular is awesome. It is suited for at least a 4/4 and up horn, and it is pretty much useless on the little Cerveny 4valve BBb I have. The Yamaha 641 takes to it the best, and the Kalison Daryl Smith is a nice compromise. I haven't played the Marc...3 much as I just recently received it, so the jury is still out.

Bottom line, experiment ALOT. Use one piece that you are most comfortable with, which calls for register extremes, technique, and differing dynamics. Then switch around on m'pieces, to find in your own ear what works and what doesn't.

Follow Ups: