Re: Monettes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on July 09, 2002 at 17:40:01:

In Reply to: Monettes posted by John on July 09, 2002 at 11:41:47:

I took a chance and switched to the 94 and fell in love with it (I use it on a Meinl Weston 2000) and then purchased a 94F for the F (B&S Perantucci, pre-PT10). The tone quality, focus, and intonation are incredible for me on those instruments.

The hardest part is deciding to part with the money. Monette is very proud of his stuff but so are some of the others. The other hard part is making a change in the way you approach the horn to play. No more pivot system and no more leaning into the horn. His approach to playing is different and therefor a little controversial.

After talking to one of the workers at his plant, I decided it was worth at least a look. Playing the 94 changed the way I play, and that after 34 years of using the pivot. I sit up straighter now (not necessarily a bad idea), don't pivot and get a better sound, the intonation is right on, the horns focus better, the low C on the F tuba is better(with a 94F), and I don't tire as quickly as before.

Perhaps some of that has to do with me and has nothing to do with the mouthpiece, but whatever the case, it works. At least part of every equipment change has to do with a psychological change as well. What we believe in our minds helps the equipment do its' job that much better.

Just another opinion.

Follow Ups: