Adding a 5th valve to an Alex F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jeff Baker on July 09, 2002 at 21:18:31:

I've recently acquired a VERY old alexander F tuba. Thanks to some archive searching, I've been able to find a copy of an old alexander catalog (http://www.tubastuff.com/klaus/kcat1.html). Thank you Klaus Bjerre! In the catalog, my horn is a model 154 with 4 valves. From what I can read in the catalog it has a bore of 18.5 cm.

This is a wonderful horn with an amazing sound and incredible intonation for an alexander but it needs a 5th valve. If for no other reason, I need to be able to play low G-flat. I've talked with the guys at alexander and was quoted 1000 bucks for a 5th valve and the necessary parts. I can't spend that much money, so I'm looking for alternatives. Anyone know the bore of the 180 model miraphones or the 3/4 rudy mienl tubas? Anyone have or know of someone who has spare parts like this?

The valve is going to be put on the 4th slide, similar to a dependant bass trombone. The leadpipe is left alone, the bugle is left alone and the only time the 5th valve is used is when 4th is used. Where and how to mount it will come later, first I needa find a valve! Thanks for your help!

Jeff Baker

Follow Ups: