Re: Stuffy Bass Bone Blues

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kugler on July 10, 2002 at 18:45:43:

In Reply to: Stuffy Bass Bone Blues posted by Dan Schultz on July 10, 2002 at 09:36:02:

From your post it's difficult to figure out exactly what your complaint is. Is it that your concerned that some of the plating has worn off of the slide stockings or is your complaint that your horn feels "Stuffy"? It might be helpful if you could narrow your complaint, does it feel stuffy all over the entire range of the instrument or just on certain notes. In my opinion just because some of the plating has worn off the inner slide it's not automatically time to take drastic action. I have a Conn 70H that was made in 1940 that has a couple of spots where the plating has worn off but it plays great and it doesn't really effect the slide action so I don't plan on doing anything about it other then just play it. Also the tolerances of a trombone slide are such that even if it's really worn I doubt if you could tell by the way it blows.
What kind of horn is it? My guess is if it's related to wear, like worn rotor valves or a leak, it would feel more unfocused rather then stuffy. Have you looked at your bumper corks and are your valves lined up? Is it possible that something like a short pencil is stuck in the neck pipe. I've even had a coin stuck in the narrow part of the bell flare. Heavy oil is just a bad idea for a trombone slide all you would accomplish is impeded performance.Just my 2 cents!

Follow Ups: