Steve Rosse

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex Hurst on July 12, 2002 at 12:59:23:

I just want to say few words on someone who was mentioned a little while ago, Steve Rosse. A post was made a little while back by someone wanting some feeback on Mr Rosse, someone who was interested in possibly studying with him. I can't remember who you were, my appologies, but I hope this puts you in the picture a little.

I have been a student of Steve's for about five years now, and he has been nothing but 100% supportive of me the whole way, it is truley unbelievable. He looks after his students very well, and has a great natural ability to teach and get results from individuals. For us in Australia it has been particularly enlightening as we are quite removed from America and Europe. Steve has completely changed the face of tuba playing in Australia and bought about a very high standard. This has been brought about by the high standards he has on his own playing and on his students and through his own study as a student in the US, and through bringing it to Australia via international conferences/competitions, which have been very successful. There is an increasing amount of students taking up the tuba in Australia with this standard in mind.
Steve is like any other great teacher, you get out what you put in. He will put alot of time and energy into his students and you need to be very serious and working hard to get his best. Which is an ideal situation really, as it will give you confidence in what you are doing, no matter where you are at with your playing, as long as you are putting in 100%. He is always positive and always relaxed, which is a good trait for students to follow.
As most of you are aware, he was one of three finalists in the recent Boston Symphony auditions, this is a testament to his own standards and goal setting. A great example for any player to follow.
I hope this helps you understand Steve a little more.
Alex

Follow Ups: