Fed up with offering experiences

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Volker on July 14, 2002 at 04:01:44:

Some months ago, I started to offer what I thought was a good alternative to the Board mates who want to find a certain tuba brand instrument with certain attributes. We all have our secure definitions of types, condition, prices etc.
I spent a lot of time for looking around here in Germany (travelling, talking, mailing etc. etc.). Besides for some items of my own collection that I was going to sell, I found excellent horns with some extraordinary favourable prices to quality ratio. I offered a neutral trustee to engage on my costs in case of any doubts.
I got many inquiries from many obviously kind guys, some even seemed to be just crazy to get a certain tuba that was on my offer, some even reserved one for weeks, making me call off other prospects. After some weeks, it turned out, they first had to sell their old tuba, which they could not do, so after all had to cancel the reservation. Other prospects wanted me to send pics. When I asked them to give me their address for airmailing paper photos or to wait, until my son has returned from vacation to give back my digital camera, they stopped the communication and never sent the address.
There were also some retailers who clearly indicated what tubas they look for in what price range at what condition. When I had spent much time upon their request to find what they wanted - and really could match all their wishes, I got a 3-liner to say: Thank you very much, but right now I cannot take advantage of your offer.
Well, I could continue and write a book about my experiences in only few months as far as this topic is concerned, and as a result, I jumped to the conclusion to stop those activities, since I found, it is wasted time and money.
I apprciate this Board very much, and I already feel familiar with some great individuals, but I think, that some of our mates have jeopardized a valuable opportunity to have a direct private link to Germany and Switzerland for top 2nd hand tubas to somebody who just wanted to contribute 80% based on hobby interests and enthusiasm, and maybe 20% on a modest commission to cover the costs, and a tiny contribution to the own collection budget.
After announcing my start on this project in early spring on this Board, I thought I also owe you letting you know about how it turned out.
Cheers, Volker

Follow Ups: