Re: The Brass Band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy Cattanach, UK on July 16, 2002 at 03:01:44:

In Reply to: The Brass Band posted by Tony Z. on July 15, 2002 at 21:06:31:

I started my tuba playing in Brass Bands, and still do a lot of playing with the very best (Fodens and Besses 'oth 'th Barn last week for instance). Over here in bands, you are a BBb or EEb player, not a tuba player! Very rarely do the two mix. BBb in a good brass band is some of the most challenging playing I've ever done, especially in pieces such as Odin (Arthur Butterworth), Revelation (Philip Wilby) and the Essence of Time (Peter Graham).

There are constant developments in brass band composition because of the contest scene as well. Most major national competitions commission new works to be played, between 13-17 minutes long, from classical in style right through to the avant garde! The playing is more demanding on the chops than anything I've done besides 10 piece, certainly more than any orchestral playing I've come across (including the Mahlers etc.!)

Even if you've no intention of playing in a Brass Band, you should consider listening to some recordings of the modern composers and the wonderful music they write, not just for the band, but specifically for tubas! The list is endless, but Philip Wilby, Philip Sparke, Peter Graham, John McCabe, Martin Ellerby, Derek Boergoius, Ray Steadman Allen are all living, working composers worth a listen, and of course the greats of the past including Eric Ball and Wilfrid Heaton.

Sorry to spout on, but I've learned more playing in bands under conductors like Howard Snell, James Gourlay, Bramwell Tovey and Garry Cutt than I have in any private lesson! If anyone wants info on the scene over here,or specific pieces worth a listen, drop me a mail!

Andy Cattanach, BBb Bass, ex Fodens, Besses, National Youth Band, Swinton etc etc etc!!

Follow Ups: