Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: John Williams Tuba Concerto

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on July 16, 2002 at 12:48:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: John Williams Tuba Concerto posted by d on July 15, 2002 at 23:08:37:

I respect your opinion, but I disagree with it. While I agree that pointless criticism can take away from the enjoyment, I think there are many circumstances in which criticism can be beneficial, and is sometimes needed. I don't think Sean's criticism of this recording was meant to take away from anyone's enjoyment of it, but rather to warn people of a less-than-stellar recording. His criticism might have saved me $20. However, if I eventually get to hear this recording in it's entirety, Sean's criticism won't have any affect on my judgement of the performance(I haven't been particularly impressed with the little I've heard of it).

It's often taboo to criticize, also. The general trend on this forum is to rave about all the good recordings, and keep silent about the bad ones. There's a certain tuba virtuosso who's recordings I can't stand to listen to. His technique is incredible, and I've enjoyed his masterclasses, but I don't find him particularly musical. On top of that, the recording quality of his CDs is definitely sub-par. Whenever talking about this tubist in a conversation, I've heard similar comments. It's never been discussed on this board, though, which I find surprising given the boldness of many participants in this BBS.

I wish we'd get more varied opinions of recordings on this board, like the one sean provided of this John Williams recording. Personally, I get tired of reading a dozen reviews of the same CD that focus on just one aspect of the recording(usually, the player's technique).

my $.02.

Anthony

Follow Ups: