Re: What BBb tuba is good?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on July 19, 2002 at 13:43:00:

In Reply to: What BBb tuba is good? posted by Thomas Peacock on July 17, 2002 at 22:26:00:

I have a brand new 5 valve Miraphone 191 - Nice horn, and a Miraphone 1270 - nice smaller horn. But, I just got a rebuilt & relaqured Conn 20J, like I played in college in the early 60's. No comparison. The Conn 20/21J thru 24/25J series sound like a pipe organ. If you can find a 21J or 25J (4 valve) with the upright bell they are even better, but I am very happy with the 20J bellfront. I took it to Community band practice this week and it caused a sensation. They had never seen one before - it is a BIG horn.

I tried the new King, and it is really nice. It has a sound similar to a M Weston 25 (also a beautiful horn) My Miraphone 191 5 valve (used for only one rehersal) is stll a great horn, and may be a bit easier to move around on than the Conn, but the Miraphone is now FOR SALE if anyone is interested.

So if you can find a Conn 20J-25J to try, I would try one before you buy anything. You may love it, and spend quite a bit less money than on a new horn. Taylor Music in South Dakota has rebuilts in stock - got mine there. Also Baltimore Brass has a 25J in stock. I was over there and saw it. Nice looking horn, but I had already ordered my 20J at the time.

Follow Ups: