Re: Re: BBb tuba vs CC tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on July 23, 2002 at 23:38:02:

In Reply to: Re: BBb tuba vs CC tuba posted by Lew on July 23, 2002 at 13:13:21:

One thing i noticed comparing my Getzen to my mirafone was that a sequence of notes that should be "easier" to finger on BBb still worked better in CC. Starting with first line Bb, go to G then F then Eb.

on BBb its
open
1+2
open

on CC
open
2+3

On BBb i always had trouble with a focused attack when going from 1 to 2+3. However, on the CC, that transition is easier than open to 1 is on BBb!

I can play songs out of "Bb bass" books on my CC that I could never nail on my mirafone. Possibly, and very likely, I simply dont have the air support to blow through the extra foot or two of tubing that comes with a BBb horn. Maybe its the pistons making it easier, opposed to rotaries. Maybe its the silver instead of the laquer.

It's always hard for me to compare differences between my horns because i made every switch all at once: BBb to CC, rotary to piston, laquer to silver, tall to short, small bell to large bell, etc.

To sum it all up, I found the horn that works best for me, and so I can play most stuff up to the level of my ability (which isn't saying that much).

Hope that made some sense.

Doug "changed it all" G

Follow Ups: